Leafy vineyards, majestic mountains, Riviera sunshine, Roman remains and fortified towns, combined with great food and wine, make for an engaging ‘Tour de France.' As a “Country Roads” Insight Vacations Tour you’re taken off the beaten track, to explore France in a bit more detail. Insight Vacations will whisk you off along Country Roads – far from the well-trodden tourist trail – to explore hidden retreats and enjoy local produce at its best with Farm-to-Table dining.
- Bastille Day: Celebrated across France on 14 July, Bastille Day commemorates the end of the French monarchy. Witness the remarkable display of fireworks lighting up the warm summer sky and perhaps join in one of the traditional balls.
- Troyes: Explore the medieval heart of the Champagne capital.
- Dijon: Listen as your Travel Director tells you about the history of Dijon, the capital city of the Burgundy region.
- Chamonix: Stay in France’s mountaineering capital.
- Annecy: Enjoy free time in the Little Venice area.
- Nice: Enjoy exploring the beautiful coastal town of Nice on the French Riviera.
- Côte d’Azur: Visit a perfumery to learn about the French perfume industry and discover your signature scent.
- Monaco: Enjoy a drive along part of the Grand Prix circuit. Wander the old town to see the Royal Palace and the yacht-filled harbour and visit the cathedral to see the Tomb of Princess Grace.
- St-Paul de Vence: Discover the beauty of this hilltop town and why it became a refuge for artists.
- Aix-en-Provence: See the mansions of the Cours Mirabeau.
- Avignon: During a city orientation learn about the history behind this medieval city. See Pont Saint-Bénézet, also known as Pont d'Avignon, and pass the medieval battlements to the town centre to see the Papal Palace.
- Pont du Gard: See the ancient Roman bridges of Pont du Gard that cross the Gardon River.
- Arles: Hear more about the city that is famed for being the inspiration behind the Van Gogh paintings during a city orientation.
- Carcassonne: Enjoy an orientation of this fortified town and see the fortress, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Albi: This is the birthplace of artist, Toulouse Lautrec. Walk the town and marvel at the awe-inspiring cathedral.
- Rocamadour: Visit this medieval cliff top town.
- Sarlat-la-Canéda: See the golden limestone buildings.
- Lascaux II Caves: These caves contain some of the oldest and finest prehistoric art in the world. For preservation reasons, they have been replicated in all their glory.
- Paris: See Notre Dame Cathedral, the Eiffel Tower, facades of the Louvre, the River Seine and its romantic bridges, the obelisk in the centre of the Place de la Concorde and enjoy a drive along the Champs Elysées to the Arc de Triomphe.
- Normandy Beaches: Join an emotive journey tracing the story of the D-Day landings - the 75th anniversary will be commemorated on the 6th June 2019. See the remains of the artificial Mulberry Harbour at Arromanches and with a local war historian, visit the American Military Cemetery at St-Laurent-sur-Mer, the D-Day Museum and the bunkers at Pointe du Hoc.
- Scenic Drives: Relax and enjoy the scenery of the French countryside as you travel through Burgundy, the High Alps, along the Route Napoleon and French Riviera, past Cote d’Azur, Avignon, the Languedoc Region and through the Dordogne Valley.
- Chablis: Taste one of the most famous white wines in the world. Treasure the purity of flavour and rapier-like effect on the palate with an expert vintner.
- Chambéry: Savour a delightful Farm-to-Table Dinner prepared with fresh, locally-sourced ingredients and accompanied with local wine.
- Châteauneuf-du-Pape: Embark on a Côtes du Rhone experience to a famous wine village, where you sample wine with an expert and gain a few tips about what to look for in a robust red - its colour, fragrance and legs are all as important as the taste.
- Cahors: See the Pont Valentré as you enjoy a tasting through the markets.
- Dordogne Valley: Sample some of the delicacies of the area when you visit a local farm.
- Paris: Meet a local foodie for a behind-the-scenes look into Parisian life. Taste local delicacies in a patisserie, boulangerie, fromagerie and chocolatier off-the-beaten-track on a gourmet walking tour.
- Paris: Rendezvous with your friends at a typical French bistro for a rousing Celebration Dinner with wine. Bon appétit!
Planning your holiday with Fine Travel
We aim to give our clients the comfortable that all aspects of their holiday are organised. When you book your Insight Vacations tour through us, you can also take advantage of:
- “Earlybird” and repeat client discounts that Insight Vacations offers.
- Our experience working with the various airlines that fly between New Zealand and the UK / Europe to help you find suitable flights.
- Our ability to book accommodation through New Zealand’s largest travel wholesale companies and international brands such as Expedia and Bookings.com).
- Our role as a single point of contact for the different suppliers involved in your holiday. We can deal with the airlines, hotels, tour companies, insurance companies etc. on your behalf.